We recently changed the first experience for High Fidelity users.
High Fidelity is a based on the belief that users should be able to build and share their own content. The platform is in fact a network of separate environments, each running on different hardware. We hope the High Fidelity network grows into a vast community of diverse experiences.
The challenge for us is how we introduce this breadth of opportunity to users.
To solve this problem, the Welcome Wagon was designed to carry users from one virtual environment to the next, providing an opportunity for users to experience a sampling of the experiences possible in High Fidelity.
How Does the Welcome Wagon Work?
Where the Welcome Wagon Goes
To kick-off, we have six domains on the Welcome Wagon route:
- Minigolf — a simple 9 hole course, featuring selected attractions from last year’s minigolf design competition
- Voxeltopia — a domain dedicated to voxel painting
- Playa — a desert-like domain inspired by Burning Man
- Mexico — a festive domain that is inspired by Día de los Muertos
- Cupcake — a brightly lit domain ideal for anyone with a sweet tooth
- Pumpkin — a harvest festival domain with corn mazes and trampolines
Previous “Welcome” now a “Maker” Domain
If you’re curious about what happened to our previous “Welcome” domain, it’s been retooled as the “Maker” workshop for creators. This is a new destination for content creators to gather and learn from one another, socialize, collaborate, and showcase their latest and greatest creations. We’re also hoping to host events in this domain for those who want to get their hands dirty in creating things in-world.
Hop into High Fidelity, pull up your tablet, hit GoTo, and enter “Welcome” to get to the Welcome Wagon’s current location. Check it out and let us know what you think!